"Recommended" Supplies: (any method that works for the student is fine, however)
  • 3-ring binder (1 inch wide is ok) & loose leaf paper
  • pencil and/or pen
  • a calculator is allowed on many activities and is recommended (you can find a simple "4-function" model at the dollar store. Having a Plus/Minus button is a nice feature, and you can find it for $1 there. At WalMart, etc, models run around $5. Scientific calculators are allowed as well but are not required.)
Course Information:
VENICE HIGH SCHOOL MATHEMATICS DEPARTMENT

Course
Course Number
Algebra 1H
1200320
Algebra 2H
1200340

1 Credit Each, Weighted
Textbooks: Algebra 1, Algebra 2; both by Larson 'Big Ideas' Math Series

The purpose of these courses is to provide the foundation for all higher level, college preparatory classes.

Topics shall include, but not limited to, operations and properties within the real number system; algebraic and graphical solutions of first degree equations and inequalities in one and two variables; relations and functions; direct and inverse variation operations with polynomials including all forms of factoring; rational and irrational algebraic expressions; quadratic equations; and quadratic functions.

Classroom Procedures:

  1. You must come prepared with the proper materials: textbook, pen/pencils, and a 3-ring binder or notebook.
  2. A personal calculator is recommended, and a few will be available in my classroom for use. One user-friendly scientific model is the TI-30Xa (around $10), however any model is fine. Remember, this is not required.
  3. NO CELL PHONES OR OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICES ARE ALLOWED, and must be turned off at all times.
  4. Violation of this policy will result in consequences in accordance with VHS school rules.
  5. Use the wastebasket and sharpener before and/or after class (whenever possible).
  6. Show respect to classmates and to the teacher. Raise your hand to be called on. Do not leave until you are dismissed.
  7. Always hand in your work on time. Late work is not accepted, except in the case of an excused absence. You have one day for every day of absence to make up work. Tests must be made up within the same time frame.
  8. NO FOOD OR DRINKS ARE ALLOWED IN THIS CLASSROOM! (Except water)

Homework Policy:

Homework will be assigned nightly, with few exceptions. You must complete or make a good attempt at completing each problem in order to receive full credit. All work must be shown. Assignments with answers only will not be accepted. Late work is not accepted. Please include your name, date, page number and class period on every paper that is handed in.

Please regularly check my web page for class information, assignments, and additional resources:
http://www.LashVHS.com

Employability Skills:

Employability skills are mandated by the county and will count as 20% of your semester grade. They are based upon attendance, homework, following rules and behavior. The remaining 80% is based upon Quiz and Test scores. This is very common in Honors-level courses in general.

Grading Scale:

A = 90 - 100
B = 80 - 89
C = 70 - 79
D = 60 - 69
F = 59 OR BELOW

*Parents, you may simply email me with a statement that you have read this page, no printing required. Otherwise, either print this page or compose a note using a format similar to the one below.


I have read and understand the information on Mr. Lash's Fact Sheet.

Print Student's Name ___________________________ Student Signature___________________________

Print Parent's Name ___________________________ Parent's Signature___________________________

Applicable Parent Contact Numbers :(H)_______________ (C)_______________ (W) _______________

Parent's email Address (EXTRA CREDIT GIVEN FOR THIS*): ______________________________________